View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Default My Collings back from Collings after neck re-profile and refret - bass E Dull ????

I have a beautiful 2008 Ds1. It has been my "bluegrass band" guitar up until my last band folded.

In 2014 I realised that the neck profiles of my four DS models and my 000 all had different depth profiles and the later the make the fatter/clunkier the profile, and different to those specified in the documentation.

In January 2015 I reported this to Collings, asking for details of internal dimension in order to get re-profiling done locally. They requested that I send back my latest/fattest necked guitar - the DS1, for inspection.

They agreed that it was oversized and decided to re-profile it themselves, basically turning it into a C profile rather than "mod V". They also offered to refret it (if I paid) which I agreed to.

I got it back last year after some time, and immediately restrung it (it had new strings on but I like to put my own on - it's one of my "things". I noticed right away that the bass E sounded ...dull - no attack.

The new strings? The new (probably) saddle? I left it for a while, - every time I got it out - it did not please me because of this unevenness. Last Wednesday for a rehearsal I decided to use it, and "get over it" - really irritated me, so yesterday I loosened the strings, and changed the saddle (I have a few), and the height was very similar - bit low on the top E but that isn't the issue right now - tuned up . Dead bass E.

OK, change strings altogether. Nice new D'add EJ17s ....dead E.

This occurs played open (probably a new nut - it's VERY sharp) and when fretted. Dead.

Could it be the 10 pack of strings I've used ? Well the five sets on other guitars are on with no issues.

I've run out of ideas - any suggestions ?