View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 09:14 AM

The 'power' (or loudness) of the monitors is directly related to the room they're in, of course. Like I said with my JBL's, I can crank them up to be heard in adjacent rooms with plenty of volume for my need - I'm not cranking them for big loud parties, just for background music. In my music room, I seldom get them past 10 o'clock on the volume knob of my interface (the volume knobs on the monitors are in the '0' middle position).

If you're going to use a subwoofer for mixing, you better have the bass frequencies in your room controlled (bass traps everywhere).

No matter what monitors you get, you need to 'learn them' - as already mentioned, listen to music you know well on them, learn how it translates to these speakers.
Then when you do some mixes, thrown them on a USB stick or burn to CD and listen on other systems to see how they 'translate'. Headphones and earbuds are also good ways to check how mixes translate, but from my personal experience tend to sound quite different due to the left-right separation (the sound from speakers will blend when listening - your right ear hears some of the sound from the left speaker, and vice-versa).

Cotten - if you have a Guitar Center near you, you should be able to 'audition' the JBLs and other low/mid-priced monitors, they usually have some set up for that purpose.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele