View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 04:27 PM

Thanks, my friends! This is exactly the kind of discussion I was looking for. So much good information, helpful comments and suggestions! Hope there will be more to come. Bob, your experience as a long time pro is invaluable, and I appreciate your sharing it. But it's almost as if I'm in a completely different universe. I have yet to produce my first home recording, though as a performer I've been recorded many times. As someone trying to stretch retirement income until I don't need it any more, it would be unwise of me to consider putting $4,000 into one part of a potential new hobby, knowing that I could easily spend that much on mics, room treatment, a new computer and interface, etc. That's why I'm responding to KevWind's post like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
...With that in mind
I would suggest something to think about is, that if your monitors are costing say 2/3 rd's or less than the price of the guitar you are trying to record, you may want to rethink your value judgement criteria....
I hear you, and understand what you're saying. On the other hand, 95% of my music making will still be focused on performing live, not recording. At least for now, anyway. That ratio might change if I enjoy recording and have some success. But I don't think I'm ready to sell my nicer guitars so that I can afford nicer monitors. First things first. Does that make sense? Or am I kidding myself that buying say, the JBL LSR305s will be sufficient to get me started?

Parallel question: Say I start with something like those JBLs instead of the HS8s. I already have a Fender Rumble bass amp. Can I use it as a sub to fill out the low end missing from the monitors?

Confession: For now, I plan to use a ten-yr. old Boss BR-1600 dedicated recorder that I was given, and the only mic I have at the moment is my trusty Shure SM58. My best "headphones" are a custom pair of in-ear monitors from 1964 Ears. I know, I know, but still. It's a start, right? Or is it?

If I can't spend at least $2,000-$3,000 on building a home studio, should I just concentrate on performing and let someone else do the recording?

cotten