View Single Post
Old 09-23-2013, 08:55 PM

My night job is a gigging drummer for a blues band here. Nothing like a well tuned set of acoustic drums, but if I had to go with electrics it would be a set of Rolands. They have multiple impact sensors and very good sensitivity, so it's more intuitive to a drummer playing them as far as how to vary technique and dynamics to change the sound and response - IOW, they let a good drummer express himself (or herself) better. The pads have a good, lively feeling under the sticks, too. Dead feeling pads encourage bad playing technique and muscle strain.

Another idea is a Plexiglas partition around the drummer to reduce his stage volume, or some sticks like Hot Rods or even brushes. Much cheaper than a new set of drums. And talk to your drummers - a few I know have no idea how loud they are really playing unless someone asks them to bring it down a notch. It is very possible to play both quietly and expressively, and is a sign of a drummer with good technique and touch. There's a couple of jazz drummers here that can dial it back enough to let an archtop player be heard clearly.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird