View Single Post
Old 05-23-2003, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by meridian

I own both and really like both for their different feel and tone -- in NO way do my Taylors "kill" my Gibsons.

Pick whatever your ears and hands tell you. Forget what it says on the headstock.
I've tried both and I agree with a former poster that the former's tone kills the latter. But, that's my ear.

The only way to avoid the headstock corruption, is by (literally) doing a blindfold test. Go back to the store and have someone blindfold you. Stand across the room and listen to the difference. Then, stand right next to or behind whomever is playing the guitars, similar to where you would be if you were playing them yourself. (Don't touch the guitars, because you'll know which is which, even blindfolded.) You should be able to hear a distinctive difference in tone between these two guitars. The question is, which one do you like better. If you like the Taylor tone better, I think it's any easy choice because you also get playability, NT neck, etc. along with the deal. If you like the Gibson tone better, I think the choice is harder because, in my estimation, the only other major upside on the Gibson is physical beauty of craftsmanship.

To me, there was no comparison...particularly when I was playing lightly and casually (like I do around the house). The Taylor tone was more lively and the sound was more responsive to the touch than just about any of the other major brands, but vs. Gibson in particular which I found generally kinda duddy in the tone category. They're awful pretty though. To me, the harder decision was WHICH TAYLOR, not which brand.
2002 Taylor BabyM
Old wood tambourine & wire brushes