Thread: 3 string capos
View Single Post
Old 10-01-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
If you are going to cut your own from manufactured capos, the Kyser is a hard one to make work because they want to pitch forward (tip on their nose) when cut from a conventional capo. The Planet Waves NS (aluminum version) or the Planet Waves Dual Action work far better. And even the Planet Waves NS need the lower clamps to be built up. I use shrink tube to build them up.
hmmm... I've been cutting Kysers since the mid 90's, maybe earlier, into a variety of configurations and have never had any problems. I've never needed to build up the pad on the lower half of the clamp. I've not cut a Planet Waves so I can't speak to whether or not it is easier to do. I have one whole Planet Waves NS in another case that I use very rarely.

These are the capos that I keep with one of my guitars... Notice that the black Kyser to the right with the adhesive tape on the handle is one that I cut into an Esus4 from a standard capo and the green K-Lever started out as a Drop D which I cut into a Double Drop D. Also, you can see the pad on the Esus4 that I made is slightly longer than the commercial ones. This allows me to take it further up the neck. I have another that is longer yet which makes it impossible to use at the 2nd fret, but it works well above the 7th fret. The Kysers are always my 1st choice.

that's me on guitar