View Single Post
Old 03-06-2012, 01:39 PM

I wouldn't agree S6 Original Cedar is beginner guitar. Why so many people are saying that? It is nonsense. I play for 40 years, I have some expensive guitars, but I have Seagull S6 also. If S6 is beginner guitar, than after 40 years I am also beginner and Martin D-41 and DC Aura are also beginner guitars.
Seagull S6 is special because of cedar sound and cedar fast agging. Cedar is warm. I couldn't find laminate guitar with solid spruce top which sound would remind me (well, at least a little) on Martin sound like S6. Again, it is not rosewood Martin, it does not have so strong basses, but it is warm. Some would say mutted.
Yes, I like "mutted" guitars like MArtins or Seagull. You put on bone saddle with right action and new Elixirs nano PB and you will see how it sounds.
So, people who didn't do that and didn't give S6 chance to age a little can't speak about it. They don't know the truth about it.
Cedar ages 5-10 times faster than spruce and you can feel that every day. I play it very much and almost every day and use it for practicing or for parties, singing with friends or so. Great guitar for that - warm, strong, durable, great for singing after beers. Spruce top laminated guitars couldn't make enought warm sound for me after my Martins. Well, maybe mine is special, maybe bacuse I bought it new in storen and had possibility to choose between few guitars.