View Single Post
Old 02-11-2017, 04:14 PM

Depends on many factors; before I made a purchase I'd make sure I have a tech who knows exactly what he/she is doing when it comes to acoustic archtops - I've dealt with several guys who did first-class work when it came to flattops and/or electrics, but didn't know squat about what makes these babies tick; since you're on a limited budget I'd avoid most of the vintage stuff - while there are a few nice '50s Harmony/Kay instruments to be had, more often than not they're going to need (expensive) repairs to get them back into first-class shape. I'll +1 Dan and say that your best bet would probably be a Godin 5th Avenue acoustic - I have this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godin-5th-A.../dp/B001FC3GDA

I've tried everything else in this price range, and in terms of QC you're not going to find better - or a better value (the closest all-acoustic Eastman - the new AR400 - sells for a few hundred more); while the similarly-priced Loar LH300 and Gretsch New Yorker boast solid tops (carved on the Loar), IME the tonal merits are questionable. You'll notice that I've also left the new Epiphone Century instruments off the list; I tried the entire lineup a few weeks ago and found them to be disappointing - thin-sounding in both volume and tone, with a massive neck that never appeared on any genuine '30s Epiphone I've ever encountered in the last half-century - and I've heard rumors that they may either be re-engineered or discontinued outright. In addition, you have the security of a factory warranty - a strong selling factor in itself IMO...