View Single Post
Old 12-20-2006, 05:10 PM

I've played very good sounding classical guitars that weren't made of German spruce and Indian or Brazilian rosewood. Some well known classical guitarists prefer cedar to spruce regardless of which country it came from.

Just as I play classical songs on my steel string guitars, so too one can play other kinds of music on a classical guitar.

Once, in a shop in Fort Lauderdale, I played a mid-priced Mexican guitar that sounded better than the considerably more expensive Ramirez next to it.

For the record, one of my classical guitars happens to have a German spruce top. I also have a cedar top nylon string guitar.

Odyssic, though you asked for a small builder, you might want to look at the Taylor nylon-string guitar. It isn't a true classical guitar. It is what has come to be known as a hybrid as it is constructed more like a steel string guitar than a true classical. You may find it perfectly suited for you and it has a lifetime warranty.

Manuel Delgado in Nashville makes good classical guitars. I've had the opportunity to play some examples of his craft earlier this year.
http://delgadoguitars.com/