View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3notes View Post
I just posted this paragraph in another thread but thought it to be a good question. What are your thoughts on this...

I personally don't like learning music theory. It racks my brain. That said, I do enjoy learning scales yet, I know very few. Mostly movable scales. But what keeps it interesting for me is thinking of half steps and whole steps. By doing, or thinking in these terms it has helped me discover, for example, one string solos. So when I hit a note in a scale I know I can move up or down by either a half or a whole step and the note will work. And sometimes you can squeeze in a note that is off by a half step but still make it work, which sort of creates tension that can be resolved.

I hope this makes sense to you all. Is this method logical, for lack of a better term.??
Hi 3notes

So you are learning theory in a random, and convenient (to you) manner.

I found Music Theory in college (my major was music education) a 4 year dedicated path to learn a lot more than most musicians want to know about music.

The benefit is I can read notes, scores, chord charts, Jazz charts, TAB, Nashville numbering, and figured bass. I can improvise, compose, and know chord theory, scale theory etc. Each is a language that sometimes ties into and overlaps with another.

The result is I can quickly fit into about any ensemble situation, because I probably speak their language (which is what theory brings to the table) and we can make music together more quickly.

If your needs are not that great, then your method is probably fine. If you ever decide to do more than dabble in theory I suggest you take a basic piano course (if you don't already play piano) and then a basic theory class from a community college in your area.

Theory is so much simpler to understand on keyboards than on guitar necks.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…