View Single Post
Old 12-08-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Knox View Post
Yes, the 16th fret is too high at the e string. (are you tuned down to D?)
Remove a little off the top of the fret directly under the string. Keep going until the 15th fret rings without buzz. Check that the 16th fret rings, you may have to chase this up the fretboard if the 15th fret was low.
This is what I ended up doing - I reduced the 16th fret until it didn't rock, which was also where it stopped buzzing. Very cool to learn/do this today. I was so excited that I found several other "rockers" in the 14-16 fret area (and one higher than that) that I dealt with, as I found I could make them buzz if I hit them hard enough. All's well now. I'll pretty up the reduced frets at the next string change.

I know a good fret level/polish is a good idea, but I'll wait on that a bit. The luthier I bought this guitar from did that before I bought it, so it was already in good shape UNTIL I reset the neck, which resulted in enough of a fretboard bulge in the 14-16 fret region that it gave me a few high frets. Every note rings true, now, and it plays great, so I have no complaints. If it ain't broke . . . .

Thanks to all who weighed in. Very cool learning day.