View Single Post
Old 12-05-2017, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
The lack of an association with a major star does not help CF here. Many collectables come from that association. Why is a 60’s Gibson J-160e collectable? Allistair was kind enough to sign my Doubleneck and write serial number 001, which means a lot to me but I doubt in 50 years it will even be noticed by a buyer? The market share of CF guitar is still so small, you need a larger public awareness to be collectable?
Public awareness of carbon fiber guitars is increasing. That could play into the current CF guitars being more "collectable" in the future.

I know the AGF has a good share of collectors, but it seems that much of this sub-forum is populated with players. Looking at the guitars I've owned over the years, it is clear that I'm about the playing... and I am SO enjoying the sound and playability of my CF guitars.

It's only in the last 5 or 6 years that I've put aesthetics (looks and comfort) firmly into my guitar selection process. I started that by getting a couple smaller body guitars (a RainSong Shorty limited edition and a Taylor 522ce 12-fret), but really discovered what a different playing experience it is with the truly ergonomic design in my Emeralds. I don't think I'm alone with this consideration and expect that future guitar designs will be more than tone-woods and body sizes - note that the lesser expensive Taylor Academy Series all have a built-in arm rest bevel.

Collectable? Statistically, I won't be around to find out, but it is sure nice to be able to enjoy these instruments now.