View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 10:01 AM
Guest 928

Strumalot;

I just tried some of the ball end EJ34 folk strings. I like tying the strings and have rarely gone for the ball ends even though they are faster to change. I've tried most of the D'addario strings and find the folk strings to be the least appealing relative to projection--to my ears, the normal tension D'addarios sound better and are more lively.

I'm still messing with various high tension strings which I both like and dislike. I've found that the harder tension strings start approximating more the projection and tone of steel strings, which is OK, but they also tend to get a little plinky.

As you can tell, I have yet to find my best nylon strings. I think CF instruments are particularly sensitive to strings and it takes time (and many changes) to find the one that serves the best. The task is a bit easier for steel string players because there are more of them and there are a number of threads devoted to the best strings for particular instruments.

There are others on this forum who might have a better handle on the best nylon strings for a CF guitar, hopefully they'll chip in on the topic.