View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

While an OM and a Dreadnought share a common a common 25.4" (645mm) scale length, they are quite different guitars in their timbre and purpose. So as others have suggested, it really depends on how and what you like to play vs. what we think. Additionally, just look at some differences in their size:

Nut Width: 1-3/4" (44.45mm) vs. 1-11/16" (42.86mm)
Body Length: 19-3/8" (492mm) vs. 20" (508mm)
Lower Bout Width: 15" (381mm) vs. 15-5/8" (397mm)
Depth at End Block: 4-1/8" (105mm) vs. 4-7/8" (124mm)

I suggest having a conversation with Wayne regarding what is a better fit musically for you and perhaps comfort wise.

My $.02

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
After many years of very patient waiting I've finally got to the point where Wayne will be building a guitar for me this year - I feel incredibly lucky and privileged and I know it will be an instrument to enjoy for ever.

My dilemma is that I'm now not certain what to ask Wayne to build for me - I always thought the OM42 was the guitar for me, but I'm becoming increasingly tempted by a D41. I've probably got a small time window to request a change to my "order", so I'm looking for some constructive input from friends on this forum to help clarify my thinking. What would you go for?

Many thanks!

Cheers, Andy