View Single Post
Old 03-27-2017, 10:16 AM

A small stereo recorder like the Zoom mentioned above is the simplest solution to just record your playing. You may or may not want to edit much of what this produces, depending on how neat you want the results to be.

You can set minimal goals for this editing, and pick and learn enough to use a computer editing tool to accomplish them. Examples of minimal editing would be cutting off the sections before and after your playing starts or "Normalizing" the audio levels so different songs have more or less the same loudness. Audacity (a free program) can do this. Some of this minimal editing may be available within the handheld recorder too, but personally I have trouble with their small screens and the "dance of the buttons" when doing this.

I'm struck by the responses remarking how difficult it is to learn digital recording/editing applications, and even the thought that old folks in particular will have problems using them. I too remember the learning "hump" of getting over the basics and the unfamiliar terminology. Focusing on the basics you need to know to do what you need to do first is the key in my mind. It would be as if you wanted to learn guitar and someone started you out with a discussion of plectrums, hide glue, complex fingerpicking patterns, the necessity of proper tonewoods and different bracing patterns, and then suggested that you learn all the scales and modes in all the positions on the neck as a starter. That's all interesting knowledge, it all has it's uses, but more folks are more likely to get over the hump of starting guitar if they learn those three chords and start playing, and learning to use recording or editing software is the same in my mind.

Once you get over the initial hump, the other side of recording/editing software is that so much becomes possible and often easier with software.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....