View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 10:38 AM

I have just slightly more than zero musical talent. For me to learn a song it takes brute force.

There's no WAY I can listen to a song and figure it out. Even songs I love, and have listened to a million times require me to find some educational resources.

When I got started in the mid/late 1990s, the only resources were published books and an internet still in its infancy. Unfortunately, the band that inspired me to get started on the guitar was the Smashing Pumpkins that had an incredibly talented guitarist that loved making extremely complicated guitar parts - layered on top of each other. The published songbooks were WAY, WAY WAY over my head, and I quickly learned that internet tabs were usually junk.

20 years later, the resources are so much better. Youtube and Patreon are absolutely incredible tools for someone like to to learn how to play the guitar, plus the tabs are a lot better - I assume because they junk ones are downrated and eventually discarded?

I subscribe to the theory that (for musically talented people) you're better off learning the hard way "by ear" - that it develops your musicality (is that word?) than the easy way - having youtube show you how. However, I'm not musically talented and I'd never get off the ground without help.