View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
When we hear a simple melody, say like "Happy Birthday", we can replicate the series of notes we just heard with our voice.

For some of you experienced players, how is this done on a guitar? (For any good musician on any instrument)

Are you able to play a series of notes on a guitar because:

(1) You can quantify the intervals between each note which then tells you how far up/down the strings/frets you need to move?

Or ...

(2) You worked it out before (or someone showed you) and you just memorized it.

(2) is the way I do it but (1) is probably the way I should strive for. But what training do you need? I guess ear training, but how to go about it...

Am I correct that many of you good players are able to do (1)? And if so, how did you attain that skill?
IMHO you're way, WAY overthinking this! To play stuff by ear you need: 1) your ear, & 2) your guitar. And as mentioned, a very useful 3rd tool is your voice.
Probably the easiest & best way is to learn to sing a melody, then teach it to your guitar (as it were). How do you know if your guitar has it right? Your ear will tell you.
Just doing it is how you get good at it. Talking about it won't work. Just do it. Searching websites, trying to gather all the info you can, trying to left-brain it to death won't help much. Just do it. You can try to ear train intervals if you want, it probably won't hurt. Or you can spend that time figuring out real music, assuming that's what you want to play. Most players who are good at it got that way doing the latter. They just did it.
As you tackle more complex melodies and want to figure out other guitar parts, chords etc, start working with recordings and slow-down software.