View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNW View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions regarding my question! Good food for thought. I completely agree that there is an aspect where I do enjoy letting the "greats" be my teachers. For instance, I really enjoyed working through a guitar book on Eric Clapton's acoustic album and learned a lot from that.

However, and this is related in part to my time playing classical guitar, is that at least at this point in my life, I'd rather learn some "tools" for my toolbox to improve anything I'm playing, whether by myself or jamming with others. Instead of putting in hours to really master the Moonlight Sonata or some complex song by Clapton, I'd rather put in that same time learning tools to create my own jams...finding more chord progressions I like, figuring out how to do solos better, finding cool new chord voicings, etc. So instead of just merely playing covers, I'll have a firm grasp on the theory behind their musical understanding (the chords, scales, licks, etc)...and create my own style and play the way I want to play, too. I want my "messing around on the guitar" to get better by learning new things I can incorporate into all of that.
Sounds to me like what you really want to do is write music. That's a whole different thing.

Have you ever tried to do any home recording? Software these days is relatively inexpensive, you can make a whole multitrack recording in your spare room these days. Writing and recording is certainly a whole different level of engagement from just practicing.

So quit wasting time on this forum, and go write a song. Then record it and let us hear it.

Last edited by Guitar Slim II; 09-11-2017 at 02:45 PM.