View Single Post
Old 09-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNW View Post
I have an interest in getting better at acoustic blues (for starters)...whether rhythm guitar, improv soloing, some mix of both, new licks, etc. But I have a fuzzy idea of how to get there, what to do. I just don't know where to start. Some ideas I've had are to get a comprehensive book on acoustic blues, or to get one book I found that gives you a new guitar lick to learn each day for a year. Or maybe start taking guitar lessons again.

Thanks for reading my (lengthy) question, and for any suggestions, encouragement and input you may have!
I was in the same boat several months back.

I got a hold of some Mark Hanson, Toby Walker and Woody Mann books, cd's, videos. A great start in fingerpicking and acoustic blues in particular.

Learned several beginner tunes, but felt like I was stalled. Not getting better and taking a very long time to learn a tune.

As a dedicated DIY'er it was a big step to decide to take lessons for the first time. But I realized I had some poor technique and it was holding me back from learning songs I wanted to play.

I'm a month into weekly lessons, nothing but exercises and a couple hour of practice a day. I can see very noticeable improvement. Highly recommended!

Good luck, I think you are asking the right questions.