View Single Post
Old 09-02-2017, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

For me it is all about the emotional expression of the music - whether it has lyrics or not. I am a singer songwriter so for me, it is both the singer and the guitar. The art of good accompaniment is something that takes practice and a lot of musicality.

Nina Gerber is a first rate guitarist and she does a fabulous and tasteful job when accompanying singers.

Martin Simpson is a wonderful guitar player and also does a great job accompanying singers.

If the song calls for a good strong rhythmic strummer playing 3 chords, and if it supports the emotional content of the music, then I have no issue with it. Of course, there are more complex things you can do and I am fine with those as long as they do not interfere with what is being expressed by the singer.

While I can appreciate technical wizardry on the guitar, music for me is about expression and deepening emotions.

Players/Singers who I enjoy: Janis Ian, Bonnie Raitt, Rory Block, Joni Mitchell, Cheryl Wheeler, Patty Larkin, James Taylor, Kelly Jo Phelps, Verlon Thompson, Cliff Eberhardt and Darrell Scott - so many more

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 09-02-2017 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added content