View Single Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM

Default Dreaded Guitar Envy

This last weekend, my wife and I did a little fall color drive through a couple of the state forests, starting not too far from where we live. Late in the day, we came across a small church in our denomination and decided to stop in for their Saturday evening gathering. There was just a single musician there, playing a McIlroy guitar. It looked like a small-ish jumbo, probably in walnut. The tunes were mostly ones we do at home. He interpreted them a little differently than we do (which I liked and appreciated) but his guitar playing style was reasonably similar to mine.

His guitar sounded great, with a warm but clear and balanced tone. Its shape and tone reminded me of an old Larrivee L that I wish I never sold. Having a high-end hand-built guitar made him seem like a more serious player . . . at least to me . . . but I may have been the only one in the church who had any idea what kind of guitar he was playing. Last night I went off to my own choir rehearsal with my 35 year-old Yairi. It plays easy and it sounds absolutely fantastic to me, but playing a pretty beat-up (some might kindly say "vintage") instrument now has me feeling sort of second class. I’m sure it will pass, but why do pickers like me get that stupid guitar envy?

Last edited by Big.Al; 10-08-2012 at 10:19 AM.