View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
Thanks Brian. And which leads to a couple other rookie questions:

Should the slide fit snugly on the finger? I've found a couple of slides laying around the house -- don't know when I might have picked them up -- and they're both pretty loose on both my ring and pinky fingers. And how far down the finger do they go? Just to the knuckle? A ways past? And is there a rule of thumb for length? Long enough to cover the whole fretboard? Not so much? (or "off the shelf" are most slides available in just one or two common lengths anyway -- as you can tell, I haven't been down to the local guitar shop yet, where I suppose I may get some help as well.)
I like the slide to have a somewhat loose fit over my finger . . . or just enough space that I can slightly bend my pinky at the knuckle. It goes all the way down past the knuckle. I typically play no more than single to three note combos that can be easily covered with a 1 3/4" slide. Having the tip of my pinky hang out the end allows me to arch the finger which in turn seems to help with accuracy. Darn, could talk all day about slides . . . got to go...