View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 09:22 AM

I've watched several of this guy's videos in the past couple of years, but I hadn't seen this one. There's something loveable about him, even when you don't agree with a point/opinion he's making or even a particular fact. He just seems so non-pretentious and eager to inform.

In this particular video I agree with most of things he's saying. I'm not sure the electronics in the USA and MIM Fenders are the same, but then I don't have two 2015 models as he's comparing, and anyway electronics are cheap to buy and cheap to replace. He slides over the pickup differences too quickly, since is by far the greatest difference, but he more or less alludes to it when he says he can make a MIM as good as a USA for less than $300 (by which I think he essentially means: pickup swap). He doesn't stress that point enough. He mentioned bridge differences, but doesn't mention trem block differences.

Other things I think he's right to mention only briefly: what paint, how many body pieces, even alder vs. popular vs ash, makes little difference in a Strat in my experience. It's just not a design that seeks to make body wood resonance any part of it's sound.

The point he makes about resale value is too rarely made.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....