View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 11:24 AM

Default What's the end goal?

Hey John,

Hope you're doing fine. Glad you're building again.

I'm a little confused by your post. Is your plan to lay shellac over a z poxy pore fill - to accomplish a deep glossy finish? And sounds like you've got a couple of coats of shellac on there already. So is the issue that the pores are still showing, hence the need for better pore filling? Or just that you dont think that a French polish will give the level of gloss you're looking for (some can acheive a mirror finish with FP, but I can't)

Anyway, one option, now that you've already got shellac on the guitar, is to continue pore filling with shellac and pumice, then spray waterborne like EM6000 or KTM9 (if you can find any) on top of the shellac. I know that KTM 9 adheres very well to shellac and I'd imagine the EM6000 does too. I simply say waterborne rather than nitro because I don't think you have a spark proof spraying booth, right? I'm afraid of nitro for that reason, and because I spray in my basement, with an external vent for exhaust and don't want the toxicity in the house.

If you still want to go the Zpoxy route, I think I'd get all that shellac off the guitar - I'd wipe it off with alcohol, then I'd scuff it with 220. It might adhere to shellac, but it might not, too. Then you'd have a mess.

I've used Zpoxy on a number of guitars for pore filling, and while it does provide a pretty good deep glossy pore-fill, I find it a PITA to use. You want to really get it into the pores, but don't put it on too thick or the sanding is a real chore - the stuff is very tough. There's a good tutorial on the OLF on porefilling with ZPoxy - I think Todd Stock did it. You also want to be very well protected with Nitrile gloves and I don't think a respirator mask is overkill. The stuff gives me a headache.

Good luck!