View Single Post
Old 11-01-2009, 10:24 AM

Default PA advice for acoustic guitarist in an alt-country trio...

Hey all

Sure would like to hear your advice/opinions on my set up with a rocking roots-rock trio. It's what I currently have vs. what I want it to be--I'm just not sure I'm there yet. First, a bit about the band. We are a trio (drums, electric guitar/banjo, acoustic guitar/voice--me). We play in bars, at wine tasting rooms, small festivals, etc. Our guitarist plays nice stuff--Gretsch and Fender guitars, Mesa amp, Bose L1 for his on-stage monitoring. Our drummer is almost never miked, and he's a loud, aggressive drummer--at times. He'll also play with brushes when needed.

Me? I play with two guitars--a Collings 000-2H and a deep body C10. Both are outfitted with K&K PW mini. Behind me, I've got an AER Compact 60 on a stand, and out in front, off to my left, is an AER AG8 satellite speaker also on a stand. That's really about it.

The issue? Well, most of the time, things sound fine, but we do hear comments about how you sometimes "can't really hear the vocals", "it needs to be a bit louder", etc. Also, as you might expect, the low end is on the light end. With no bass player, the band relies on me for some low end, and I'd like a bit more punch in my set up. I consider portability, weight, and great sound all important. I'd love to hear your comments and advice on a good system for me to get the sound out there in this band environment, yet on occasion play solo or duo. If what I have is fine, maybe I just need to add this or that, let me know. I'm thinking more sound dispersion and more bass response would be good things--but I'm just thinking.

Sorry for the long post, but this is a topic I'll be chewing on for awhile.

Cheers

Matt