Thread: Cats
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
...If the fixed cats stay in a given area, other non-fixed cats generally won't move into that area. So, it could be argued that your neighbor keeping the fixed feral cats around actually lowers the total number of cats going to your bird feeders. Imagine how many cats / kittens would hang around your food source if they were breeding unchecked?

I'm not trying to change your mind, just providing perspective from a different side.
I live in a "neighborhood" of 33 cabins in a wooded 66-acre area, and one of the rules for tenants is to restrict all pets from roaming. I really don't believe that introducing any animal into an ecosystem is a good idea, either fixed or not. When one lives amongst other people, even in the "wilds" of Albemarle County, VA, one assumes a certain responsibility for respecting the domestic space of other neighbors. I was and am perfectly willing to trap and remove either feral cats or house pets that roam. Ergo I really don't buy "the devil you know is preferable to the devil you don't know" argument unless one is looking to feed local coyotes. Fortunately my landlord sided with me...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-14-2017 at 11:15 AM.