View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Default more designs

OK, so I continued my design efforts a little more and made a sound hold humidifier version.

To do this, I used the smallest travel container from the kit I referenced earlier. I then had a spare plastic screw. I drilled a hole, cut the screw to length and inserted a 3/16" grommet - this was perfect spacing for gently hanging from the strings.

I CA-ed the screw to the side of the case.

Inserting this is easy from the outside of the strings, I think the grommet will hold the unit nicely.

I was unhappy with my PW sound hole humidifier because it was hard plastic and it stretch the strings a tremendous amount. It also didn't hold much water.

My design will hold gently and have gel beads for a much greater reservoir of water, with the added protection of the sponge.

This unit will cost about $5 because you need a grommet and a plastic screw. However, I think its a great step up in sound hole humidifier design. It's safer and lasts longer.

Oh, and I increased the vent holes' size to 5/32"

(what can I say....I am passionate about protecting my guitars' fine wood and I very particular about what I want inside my case. And I hate everyone throwing away too much money on sub-par products.

These home-made humidifiers take about 30 minutes to set up (drawing vent hole pattern) but onece you make one, you can knock them off in about 5 minutes:

- transfer hole pattern to lid
- drill holes in lid
- cut sponge into a circle
- slice sponge circle in half
- assemble with gel beads

(additionally for sound hole unit)
- drill hole in side
- cut screw to length
- assemble grommet and screw
- add CA & let cure/outgas overnight

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240