Thread: 12-string nut
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 08:23 AM

Default 12-string nut

Hello everyone, I have been struggling to get my acoustic 12-string to where I would like it. One of the delicate balancing acts is the string spacing at the nut. If the strings, within a pair, are too far apart, it is hard to fret cleanly, if they are too close together, they clang together when you strum or pick vigorously. One thing I noticed is that all Taylor 12-strings put the two big E strings too close together. Anytime you come down with any force on an open E chord, for instance, those two strings rattle and produce some unpleasant clanging - no good, Taylor. I compared a 655ce against my China-made Guild 12-string yesterday, for all the beauty of the Taylor, to my ears, it does not have a sound advantage over the Guild, in fact, I would say the Guild has more body and warmth, but that is off the subject. What I have noticed, by looking at pictures of many guitars, is that MARTIN makes the best 12-string nut. They cut them very consistently, and, from my experience, perfectly for my playing style. Does anyone now how I can get a Martin 12-string nut with pre-cut slots ? Elderly Instruments has 6-string nuts, but not 12-string.