View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 06:49 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranK_S View Post
I am interested in a new Larrivee guitar that "Guitar Adoptions" has for sale. I emailed them and asked what the date of manufacture was because I said I was interested in buying it and the first response I got was, "It's irrelevant" so I responded by saying, "It may be irrelevant to you but it is important to me." Their response to that was, "O.K., can I ask why?"
So they never even attempted to answer my question and only responded by asking me a question.

I run a small business and if someone is interested in purchasing one of my products I don't answer to a query by asking a potential customer to justify their question, I just answer it, seems like good customer service. I sense a bit of an attitude on their part.
I'm sure some of you guys will feel it's irrelevant too but I've never purchased a guitar sight unseen or online before so it is important for me to know how long this guitar has been sitting around in their stockroom.

What do you guys think?

It's probably "new old stock"...or they are concerned that *you* are concerned that it's been abused in some way....and most retailers don't differentiate between new-stock and new-old-stock, unless indeed the guitar has been damaged (even slightly) while on-display.

Either way, it's absolutely the wrong way to answer your very direct question. If it's new-old-stock, and it's "like new," then they should be quick to provide that info, and let you make your decision.

I'd say to either give them some slack and try again, or vote with your wallet and take your business elsewhere.

It's your decision.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner