View Single Post
Old 01-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Whippersnapper

I use a room humidifier and a Dampit (without the plastic soundhole cover-thing) for all of my guitars in their cases. Since it's plenty dry inside with the furnace kicking on all the time I need all the help I can get. I would probably be fine with just the Dampits in the cases with the guitars, but I like not having dried out skin so I use the room humidifier, too. It keeps the room at around 45%, give or take a few, so I can leave my guitars out on stands for easy playing access. No pets or kids to worry about knocking them over.

With laminates (and electrics) the need for proper humidification is still great. Even though the body of the guitar is less prone to humidity-related changes the fretboard IS going to be heavily affected. So bear in mind that a soundhole humidifier may not be as effective on the soundboard as a whole-case unit (such as the homemade, sponge-type) or a room humidifier. The fretboard will take longer to react to the changes as the soundboard, so keep that in mind as well. A short time away from "safe" levels will not be detrimental to your guitar.

Bel isi,
-kyle
www.kurtscobie.com