View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 03:33 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I own an all-carbon fiber Emerald Chimaera 6/12 doubleneck. Beautiful instrument, I love it. It has a Baggs Lyric installed. The body is only about 1" wider than a GA, and about 3.5" thick. Honestly, I haven't played plugged in enough and at volumes to really judge it. I'll soon be getting the latest Chimaera with a wood veneer top integrated over the gloss-topped CF and I'll have a choice to make about the pickup system. I can have a Lyric installed, but one of the other standard system offerings by Emerald is the Anthem SL. The full Anthem would be an upgrade. I have plans to start playing out more amplified.

Reading this thread and others, I'm leaning to the Anthem SL over the Lyric and full Anthem, but given the two necks, I'm wondering if the added flexibility of the full Anthem would be desirable. I should say that the mentioned size/weight differential although not specified, is of concern to me.

Fwiw, there is slight sympathetic string vibration that eminates from the unplayed neck that is unheard acoustically unless the played neck is stopped abruptly, at which time, I can make sure to simultaneously stop the unplayed neck. If I'm only playing one neck, I also have the option to place a capo at the 12th fret of the unplayed neck which eliminates the string vibration altogether. If for some reason this sympathetic string vibration goes undampened, I'm wondering if it would be aggrevated at volume.

All this to say that I'll have a decision to make between the Lyric, Anthem and Anthem SL for this particular doubleneck guitar. I don't think bracing is an issue for a full Anthem. I'd appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!