Thread: Notes or Tab?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
I, personally, much prefer notes over tablature (and I'm old enough to remember when there was no tablature). To me tab is clumsy and not as informative as written notes. Fortunately, with the advent of computer notation programs, both are readily available. I'd much rather go to a theater gig and sightread 60 pages of written notes than try to muddle through tab for a single tune. I feel that I'm knowledgeable enough about my instrument that I can choose where, on the neck, to play a particular passage without being guided by someone's tablature. That's my take on it - what's yours??
I've been reading notation since my first lessons at age nine and prefer it. Nonetheless GOOD tablature has been helpful at times as well. I personally find tablature most helpful when I'm trying to learn a piece with alternate tuning. But since you no longer have any desire to play, it should be irrelevant.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Ellis View Post
Been playing for 58 years and I get no joy out of it any more - it's time to hang up my thumbpick. I've never enjoyed playing for the sake of playing - I have to play for someone and there's just no place to play any more and I can't find anyone to play with who's on my level and I'm not into teaching someone to be a backup player.......