View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 06:23 PM

I'm usually disappointed when I play guitars at Guitar Center's stores. The strings are usually completely dead and I've come across several guitars that showed signs of being dry. If they know you are a serious buyer, they may put new strings on a couple for you, but I wouldn't be surprised if they refused.

In terms of the difference between the 400 series (ovangkol) and the 300 series (sapele), I have always preferred ovangkol, but have never had anything against sapele. you'll probably find that sapele is a little stronger in the midrange and that ovangkol has a little more bass response with more focused high end as well (if you can compare some with new strings). I prefer the feel of the GA (x14) bodies like you, but some of the best sounding 400 series guitars I have played have been drednaughts (410).

In the end, I think you'd be happy with either one. I have a BTO grand auditorium on the way with ovangkol back and sides, but my next guitar after that will probably be a 356ce or GA3e-12. I never worry too much about whether or not I will bond with a guitar because I like to try new things every once in a while. If you buy one that you just don't bond with, you can always trade it in a year or two. At least, that's what I end up doing.
1994 Epiphone Les Paul Bass

2008 Gibson J-185 EC (Sold)
2006 Taylor 714ce (Traded)
2002 Washburn WI24 (Sold)