View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I was experimenting tonight and used compression, moved the Zoom to 12 inches from the 12th fret and the recording volume at 4 and 3 (can't decide yet). I'm not using external mics at this point.

What is your placement and setting?
Hi Barry

I'm a minimalist and record all my instrumental-only tracks raw (no effects). I can add effects later, and generally use Amadeus Pro for mixing down (about any mixing software will include everything needed for mixing).

I usually place a Zoom H2n or H4n about 8-12" from the neck/body joint and adjust volume to the player and the piece. In some cases (depending on the desired outcome) I'll use external mics, but have successfully recorded all kinds of acoustic guitars with internal mics.

When I'm recording player/singers, for single take I place the recorder on a tripod and run it like this…aimed between the lips and upper bout (monitored initially with earbuds for mix, and recorded without them). The unit is about 2 feet in front of him. He's reading his chart which is taped to the front leg of the tripod.

Link to the track recorded in the picture (with an original Zoom H4).

https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=4721269

I tend to run input volume a bit light so nothing exceeds -12. It's quiet enough to boost it later in post production.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…