View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfitz81 View Post
No, it's pushing it down diagonally, more or less, to where it's resting on my right leg. Kinda counterbalancing the weight of everything to the left of where it's sitting on my leg. JonPR's description was a good one. My arm is bent about where the "corner" of the lower bout would be if it were square. I keep my right hand between the bridge and soundhole, but getting right above the soundhole is manageable and doesn't seem to affect stability.

I’m 5’6” so my arms are probably shorter than you guys so the placement of my arm probably does not reach that “corner” and probably not able to exert as much cross force. And there is probably more downward and backward force exerted by my arm causing the headstock to spring forward more readily when in causal position.

I think for now, I am going to keep trying the left leg over right, which gives several benefits for me

1) raised headstock
2) guitar body closer to the center rather than off to the right which eliminates the guitar wanting to rotate around my body
3) two points of contact on my lap which eliminates the teetering.

I just learned how to post pictures so here is how it looks.

I was able to play in this position for like 10 minutes during one stretch of practice and didn’t feel circulation getting cut off so I think this will be ok.

Anyway, thanks all for engaging in what might have been a tedious read. It helped me to consider few things.