View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 04:42 AM

Default Questions about latency and Focusrite 2i2

Hi everyone,

I posted this on the Reaper forum and only got one reply. I'll try here.

=============================================
Been testing Reaper for about a month. Purchased the license last weekend. Great value! Anyway a couple of questions:

1) I recorded the metronome on my iPad using Reaper and my Focusrite 2i2 (Gen 1) direct connection. Next I played the metronome track (using Reaper) through my speakers and recorded it on another track using a microphone. I had the Direct Monitor switch on. This would be equivalent to overdubbing my guitar for example. The "clicks" on the two tracks lined up perfectly. Un-measurable. This tells me that Reaper is perfectly compensating for any latency in the process. I tried this with a well known open source recording program and the re-recorded clicks where off by tens of milliseconds. I played with the latency settings but could not get the clicks to converge towards an acceptable value. Hence the reason for considering Reaper. The question is: Is this a valid test?

2) I want to get another Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I have read on this (Reaper) forum that the gen 2 drivers a buggy. Amazon still has gen 1 units available. Can anyone comment on this?

Thanks in advance for any comments. Reaper is an excellent program and value. I haven't even scratched the surface.

Terry