View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 01:40 PM

Default twelve to six conversion (and back)

I did exactly that years ago with my Seagull S12, just to experiment with a wider neck. I believe that the Seagull 12's are 2" wide at the nut, but don't recall for sure.

A new nut and medium gauge strings worked out pretty well. After about six months, I did convert it back to twelve strings by swapping the original nut back in. I am pretty happy with the 1.8" wide nut on my old S6. FYI, I used the first six tuners nearest the nut, and without notching the saddle, the strings were a just little bit off center with the fret board, but not unpleasantly so.

BTW, the only reason the Seagull 12 ever went away was that I got a good deal on a Taylor 354-LTD. My wife put the Taylor in my hands while I was chatting with someone in the nice guitar room one day, and after a pause in the conversation, I suddenly realized that I has been playing a twelve-er! The dealer gave me a good price, and it went home with me that day -- and I still have it 16 years later. Once I have more bonding time with my new Emerald X20-12 that arrived this past week, the Taylor may go up for sale soon.