View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 08:07 AM

Great question, and a lot of great responses.

Here’s my take: Its much easier to find fabulous musicians who teach than it is to find fabulous teachers who can play. As an example, I’ve now spoken with several guitarists who studied with Joe Pass the legendary jazz guitarist. Both of his students described him as a lousy teacher. They both quit after taking enough lessons to be able to put ‘I’ve studied with Joe Pass’ on their resumes.

So how do you determine if their passion for teaching rivals their passion for playing? Start with interviewing them on their teaching method. Do they get really excited when talking about their teaching techniques? What is their approach to learning the instrument and learning music? Judge their passion for the teaching profession.

I’ve noticed that teachers fall into two categories: “Tell me what you want to learn and I’ll teach that”. OR. “This is what you must know if you want to play a certain way.” Let’s call these two styles: Song vs. Method teaching style. It’s been my experience that the method approach is more suitable for the more advanced students, those who are after a certain type of mastery of the instrument.

I’ve had both types of teachers after many decades of taking lessons. For example, I was on an extended 6 month business trip, went to the local music store got a teacher and told him I wanted to learn some Beatles tunes. Bingo! He had prepared music and lessons that was exactly what I wanted.

My current teacher I picked because I wanted to learn to improvise over key changes, and get a more complete knowledge of the fretboard, reading charts and knowledge of music. For the long haul, this teacher is the one I want to study with. He’s written several ‘method’ books, is working on a third text, and is also a gigging musician playing in both a rock/pop cover band, as well as a 1940’s type big band.