View Single Post
Old 12-09-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
It just struck me ...on the body of an acoustic guitar, there are three, and only three, areas where absolute flatness is required ... on all other areas , curves rule OK ..

A: Most importantly, the surface on the upper bout where the neck heel shoulders contact the ribs needs to be absolutely flat (as of course do the neck heel shoulders) ... unless ... the heel has a parallel contour rather than a "V" contour.

B: The area underneath the glued fretboard extension would preferably be dead flat.

C : The base of the saddle slot should be dead flat.

On the neck, things are slightly different, naturally ..I am only referencing the body of the guitar.
I just now realized that I should of course have stipulated in [A] that I was referencing only dovetail neck joints. ... mea culpa.

Yes, as far as bolt-ons are concerned you can cope and floss for a tight fit even if the mating surfaces are curved opposingly .... methinks it would be a different story with a dovetail joint.

Also , when I said "flat surface" , I was talking specifically about the V shaped area immediately adjacent to the shoulders of the neck heel.... an area going from 2 1/4 " at the top to maybe 7/8" at the bottom. I would think that no matter how rounded the shoulders of the upper bout are, it would be an imperceptible flattening which would cause no aesthetic problems whatsoever once the neck is fitted.