View Single Post
Old 11-25-2017, 10:30 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
Guy 2 described a hot bend operation as a possible alternative to the neck reset.

Heat the neck to soften the glue binding the fretboard to its mahogany substrate. Then bend to straighten as required, and fixture into position until all is cooled and adhesive re-set.
One, "heat pressing" a neck in this case only means the repairman does not know how to do it correctly. At best it is a temporary solution. The cold creep of modern glue will allow the excess relief to return after a time. I would not let anyone suggesting such touch my guitars, not even to change the strings. I'm very narrow minded in that regard.

Two, a neck reset has nothing at all to do with relief, truss rods, etc. Both affect playability, but are different issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortfinger View Post
And all because Martin in their insularity refused to put adjustable truss rods in their otherwise beautiful guitars until about 1985.
Many of their most expensive guitars (Authentic Series and some Limited Editions) are still built with non-adjustable truss rods. FWIW, I've recent guitars by other builders, also made with non-adjustable truss rods of one sort or another. Properly executed, this setup is very stable.

The 3/8" square tubes Martin used at the time are not the best examples of proper execution, although they did not know it at the time. Their source of 1/2" T-bar dried up and this was the replacement.