View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 03:13 AM

Its been a while since the last update, i've been away, and the workshop is on a summer break so the opening times are very limited.

The body is now fully binding'd front and back. The extra purfling lines on the top were very awkward to do and to make sure everything still stayed in the right place while gluing. One half I bent them all separately, glued them together at one end and then actually glued it on and into place with the main binding, the other half I glued together at one end, and bent the 3 strips together. I'm not sure theres an advantage in either of those methods, they both seemed to 'do the job' but nothing more. If I ever go for multi strips again, I'd probably bend them all together just for the sake of less time and a bit less hassle.

I also finally finished the back end graft, i still think it looks a bit odd, but it looks less of a mess now.
In the process of putting the centre strip filler in that, which I deliberately fitted very tight, I seem to have slightly damaged a small section of the bwb purfling underneath it, its been pushed down slightly and slightly twisted, probably due to the pressure of the centre strip. Not sure this is repairable. From some angles it looks fine, from other angles it looks like i've missed a section entirely.

Whilst waiting for the glue to dry on the final bit of the end graft I needed something to do, so I hogged out some wood with the drill press from what will become the slots in the slotted headstock,. Because its not finished, it does look rather odd right now. I then realised i'm supposed to drill the tuner holes first. I think if I drill the holes before I finish the slots I might get away with minimal hole blow outs, but thats just hope.

next things to work on will be the neck/body joint, the headstock and the fretboard. I was originally planning to bind the fretboard as i'm not a fan of the exposed fret end/tangs, but I don't have any matching rocklite binding left. Haven't decided if I should order more or not yet, especially as that would mean international shipping/import for just 2 strips of binding...

Untitled by David Emm, on Flickr