View Single Post
Old 11-18-2017, 01:41 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
JW;

You're good here; There are a lot of 12 stringers on this forum and many carbon fiber enthusiasts actually own a wooden guitar or two.

As to your question. I'm not the best source of information regarding 12 string guitars, but I've owned a few and I have played them as six string instruments. Normally I play nylon string guitars so I am used to a wider nut and found the 12 string works as a 6.

My only reservation would be the possible loss of resonance. A 12 string is designed to take a lot of pressure and I suspect that when you remove 6 of those strings the remaining 6 may not resonate well. This is just a suspicion on my part.

While you are here, you might want to take a look at the Emerald Guitar site and check out the 12 string guitars available in carbon fiber. In any event, good luck with your exploration.
Wrong forum or not, Evan’s view makes sense. 12ers are braced heavier, so it’s likely that just 6 strings will have a tougher time vibrating the top, resulting in compromised tone compared to a dedicated 6. Because of the inherent strength of CF guitars including the tops, this may not be a factor on a CF 12.