View Single Post
Old 04-20-2015, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
In addition to the 5 "chord" shapes, which all connect on the root of each previous shape, you can learn 5 "scale" shapes... for either pentatonic or diatonic.

It opens up a world of freedom when playing. There are a lot of 'patterns' on a guitar in standard tuning, but I have not yet found one that doesn't in some way use the caged layout. I learned caged from "Fretboard Logic" (and a teacher) which really seems to take caged a bit farther than most free internet resources... it adds some "lead" patterns based on traversing three octaves through the caged shapes.

Once you start using all the associated patterns, you never get lost on the fretboard.
That's the beauty of it. The system is nothing more or less than graphic representations of how music works on a guitar neck .

The same approach can be used to create forms for Harmonic Minor and Melodic Minor tonal systems (basic CAGED being about Diatonic major tonal system) , and I scratched the surface of Harmonic Minor forms to work on one tune.

One big thing I remember from my days taking 'guitar lessons ' and learning this stuff was the overview that , from the 5 main CAGED forms (DMS Forms, we called them) you could derive four other important forms, of decreasing complexity . 1) Diatonic Scales (and we worked in the context of modal scales . 2) Pentatonic scales . 3) Arpeggios . 4) Chords . (major and minor on all .

I remember learing piece by piece over the course of a couple of years (or a year; I don't remember exactly) , and how it all seemed like a big puzzle that
wasn't giving me a big picture . But at some point it reached critical mass, and big chunks of puzzle came together . Very nice view from there !. I still need to memorize the dang pentatonic foprms though ; just never got around to it