View Single Post
Old 01-20-2014, 10:17 AM

Default Gibson/Fender/PRS

Some really good points being made here. I think the Fender/Tele design is so classic that they will never really be improved upon. Gibsons, on the other hand have a range of quality and sound based upon model. I think the Les Paul, that is a real Les Paul standard or Custom is in a league of its own. I have a vintage SG but man I'd still love a '59 Les Paul! The SG swings but it isn't a Les Paul by a few Galaxies. Fender's are so good now that the Mexican Made Strats can stand up to the American Standards. Here's where I differ, PRS has essentially beaten Gibson at their own game. Before I bought my new custom 24, I bought a Les Paul Standard. I brought it back and got the PRS. I think PRS has just about every Gibson nuance covered in one way or another. I think, although it's not well known. They have aced the Strats too. they are making single coil, maple fret board guitars that floor me! I have a CE-22 Alder. It's an '08 so its the last Alder they made. Even though it has Dragon ll humbucking pickups, it still can sound very strat like. I always say that it's a true cross between a Les Paul and a Strat. The five way rotary switch, which I thought I would hate, is part of that magic. So imagine if Paul goes directly after the Strat market, which he has in a very low key manner. I know, they are too expensive! But I can tell you that except for the Les Paul Standard, PRS has surpassed its competitors. My Ce-22 Alder is the best built guitar I've ever held. This thing is a tank. Not to say it heavy or hard to play. It will last forever. I guess that's why they cost so much. So Gibson (Les Paul), Fender and PRS seem to be the most viable choices to me. I don't really like Ricks. they certainly are too expensive. Unfortunately, the only new design I though would be a standout was the Taylor SB line. It looked, played and sounded distinctive. Not a shredder's guitar, but a classic solid body in every sense of the word. There's that whole world of Mosrites, Dan Armstongs, Airplanes or ports, with lipstick pickups that appeal to the punk rockers and they have their niche. But they will never be classic. Then there are the Europeans like Hagstromm who have been making a good American style knock off for years. Nice guitars, but not original. All the Japanese, Korean and Chinese guitars, though vastly improved in quality all go back to the original american designs. There's so many brands out there I'm sure there's great guitars I haven't even heard of which would contradict what I'm saying. But right now, it appears to me we have Fender, Gibson and PRS. I think PRS is coming on fast along the inside rail. Taylor could have been right along side of them if they tweaked their strategy.