View Single Post
Old 07-15-2010, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

The company is still called "Kohno". It's founder was one of the first (if not the first) really Japanese guitar maker to achieve some repute outside of Japan. He studied briefly in the shop of Arcangelo Fernadez in Spain but then returned to Japan and built some award-winning insruments of his own design. Master Kohno died of cancer at a fairly young age back in the 80's if I'm not mistaken.

His nephew Sakurai now runs the firm and they offer both "Kohno" and "Sakurai" models in a variety of levels, all quite expensive. You'll see both modern and older (70's) Kohno guitars show up for sale fairly often. Never very cheaply unless you get one of the long-scale older ones. I picked it up relatively affordably because nobody nowadays wants a 660mm scale.

There are "M.G. Contreras", "M.G. Contreras II" and "Contreras Workshop" guitars that I know of. The ones actually attributed to either father or son tend to bring a pretty good price but the "Workshop" ones can be affordable. Supposed to be good Spanish instruments.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"