View Single Post
Old 01-08-2017, 01:20 PM

Default First Reactions: NGD Blackbird El Capitan

I don't have pictures (I know!) or sound clips yet because I need to set up my new recording interface, but those will be coming in the next few days, and I should be able to do a side by side of the X20 and the El Capitan

I just received my Blackbird El Capitan 2 days ago after a 14 week wait, and first of all, she is a beauty. The back and sides are more of a gloss finish, but the top is more of a soft matte/velvet finish and I love it, although it doesn't take my static cling pickguard at all. The Gotoh open tuners are very nice and smooth, I opted for the standard vs the gold upgrade. I also opted for an optional sound port on the side for just a little louder monitor while playing.

Now, the sound. Blackbird claims "Vintage" and "Woody" and boy it has it in spades. When doing a side by side of my X20 and the El Capitan, they are VERY different beasts. As I'm sure many Emerald owners know, the X20 is more clear/piano like I might even say, though perhaps with less "chime" than Rainsong. The El Capitan, contrary to some of the videos I watched, does have a nice amount of bass, it's certainly no cannon, but I think the whole guitar is balanced nicely.

The main difference between this eKoa and all other CFs I have played is the woodiness of the tone. It was actually a shock when I first got it out of the case and played it, it really sounds like a 30-40 year old guitar, a little bit of that "boxy" sound but blends extremely well strumming and has good separation when fingerpicking. I will say the mids are stronger than the X20, but it sounds beautiful, just serves a slightly different purpose.

I will update hopefully with side by side sound and pics soon!