View Single Post
Old 04-27-2024, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
This is the key part of your question -- age. Older people learn differently than younger people. Older learners benefit from structured courses that logically build competence. Younger learners enjoy a more scattershot approach. Older learners tend to want to know why something is the way it is. Younger learners don't much care why, they just want to know how. Older learner benefit from leveraging prior experience, while younger learners don't have any experience to leverage. And so on. Very different brains; very different educational approaches.

So, my advice is to find a structured program. Justin Guitar has been mentioned and receives very positive reviews. Whatever you do, do not just jump around YouTube or TrueFire. You'll get lost in a hurry, and adults need the reinforcement of steady improvement. If you have to spend a little money, spent it. Guitar education is comparatively cheap.
I would agree with your viewpoint. I tried to learn 12 years ago and it was scattershot. After a month, life got in the way and I abandoned the effort as progress wasn't being made.

Washburn D10s
Norman B-18 Cedar Protégé