Thread: String Spacing
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
I appreciate what you are saying...
And I appreciate your point as well. However, give me the string spacing at nut and saddle and I understand what the fingerboard real estate to within a mm or two, which is close enough for any general discussion.

Even knowing what you suggest - at which fret the saddle string spacing is equivalent - there are subtle things that come into play, such as the amount of bevel there is on the frets, which reduces the useable playing surface of the fingerboard. It can be as much as a mm or so on each edge.

Unless it is under unusual circumstances, I'd not buy a guitar without playing it first. (And, I don't recommend anyone else do either.) So unless one is specifying a guitar to have one custom made, the spacing at the nut and saddle is sufficient to have a very close idea of the fingerboard real estate. Besides, at least in my experience, players play string spacings, not fingerboard size.

Anyway, whatever works. If someone needs to know at what fret the string spacing at the saddle is equivalent, I'll be happy to tell them: um, it's the same width as .680 of the distance between the 13 and 14th fret.