View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
I have a GPCPA1, and had the first generation Auras also. They are all mortise/tenon hybrid X braced guitars, and IMO do not sound as good acoustically as traditional Martins. Strictly pefromance guitars to me, meant to be plugged in.

My understanding is the Retro series uses standard Martins and adds the third generation F1+ electronics with images generated from pre-war guitars using vintage microphones.

So the good is they should sound as good acoustically as standard Martins because they are standard Martins, the bad is while the built in electronics are state of the art now, they won't be in a few years. I've already upgraded twice from the original Aura (OMC-Aura) to the F1 (GPCPA1), and the Retro would be the third time in 10 years, and my gigging time has drastically reduced.

The Retros are probably great guitars, I will certaily give the OM a try when I find one, but unless you are a regular gigging musician and plug in, (and need an acoustic electric), the electronics will become obsolete unless they provide an upgrade path.

We'll see.................
But eventhough martin comes out with a new Aura (F1++) system in the future, that shouldn't make your existing Aura obsolete. You can still plug in and play unless the system fails and it can't be fixed or they have no replacements.....unless your the kind of person that has to have the latest and greatest when something comes out. Which many of us are guilty of......... Hopefully Martin will come out with some mind of upgrade system like you said.