View Single Post
Old 08-24-2017, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Well yes and then to confuse it even a bit more there are modeling pedals like the Boss Fuzz pedal for example which is not a true analogue circuit fuzz but rather a little computer of digitally sampled models of some classic fuzz tones. It's just in the same sized pedal.
Good point, perhaps it helps it to note and a little further clarification among floor pedals there are digital pedals that use some type of DSP ( Digital Signal Processing ) which in fact can be based on modeling i.e. sampling a real hardware units , real spaces , etc..... or can simply be some mathematical algorithm to create generic types of representative sounds.

Then also there are completely analog pedals as Paleolith54 noted . For example there are digital delay pedals and there are also analog delay pedals. I use an all analog MRX Carbon Copy delay.

And to the OP , although I am basically new again to electric guitar as of last fall. I have been associated with audio playback since the 70's and with home studio recording of audio since 2002. Which has certainly helped with a leg up on the learning curve and understanding the basics of guitar amps and FX's

I have since acquired both technologies. I have an all tube all analog amp and I also have a Solid State (SS) smaller practice amp with some limited DSP.
And while I like both, I think there is a real difference in how they feel playing the two different types of amps

From my limited experience . If I were going to go with just one amp. I think I would opt for (as you mentioned), a small watt all tube amp to start, and really explore the tonal options available from just the amp, your guitar, and you hands ....and then perhaps consider some FX pedals to broaden the palate even further, if so desired .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1